Effective strategy instruction can minimize resource demands by explicitly scaffolding components of the writing process
(planning, writing, and revising). The Write Turn was developed after years of research and implementation. It is a unique
writing program that incorporates language processing skills, the FIX Strategy (a research-based revising strategy), and
self-regulation strategies designed for students of all ages, regardless of their achievement level. The FIX Strategy provides the building blocks and tools students need to improve the quality of their essays and become
successful writers. The Write Turn is a research-based writing program that goes beyond a typical writer's workshop.
Students are introduced to strategies that help improve:
- Planning, writing, and revising skills
- Working memory
- Language processing and visual imagery skills that improve sentence/paragraph writing
- Brainstorming, categorization, and organizational skills
- Annotating text for more detailed and complex sentences
- Written language formulation, sentence-combining, and writing grammatically correct sentences
- Self-regulation skills to internalize strategies (goal setting, self-instruction, self-monitoring, and self-reinforcement)
The Write Turn provides comprehensive training to schools, teachers, SLPs, and tutors through in-person seminars as well as live and recorded webinars.
The Write Turn's research-based strategies and instructional methods provide educators with the tools they need to help their students become more proficient writers. This four-hour professional instruction provides:
- Comprehensive training in the FIX revising strategy and methods for self-regulation
- Strategies for brainstorming and categorizing ideas
- Strategies for annotating text and choosing annotations for essay writing
- Mnemonics and graphic organizers that help students transfer their ideas into sentences
- Hands-on training and worksheets for every genre (narrative, expository, persuasive, and informative)
- The option to purchase a subscription that provides practice worksheets, instructional videos, lesson plans that meet the Common Core, and additional teacher resources
Register for our Professional Development Webinar
Small group sessions (4:1 student to teacher ratio) are offered during the summer. The Write Turn provides 20 hours of
specialized and explicit instruction in a researched-based writing program that goes beyond a typical writer's workshop. Students are introduced to strategies for every genre of writing (story, expository, persuasive, and informative).
Pre- and post-instruction data from Summer 2020
||Average # of
|Average # of
|Average # of
(scale of 1-5)
Individual sessions are offered throughout the summer and during the school year. Individual sessions are perfect for students who:
- benefit from one-on-one instruction to work on specific genres and goals
- want to incorporate strategies into their schoolwork
- are former clients and need a few additional sessions to refresh skills
- have a paper due over the summer or during the school year
Contact us if you have any questions or would like to schedule individual sessions.
Telepractice sessions (individual or group) are offered for students from 4th grade through college throughout the summer
and during the school year. Students can receive instruction anywhere they have access to the internet and a computer or tablet.
Telepractice sessions are offered for all our services: writing, reading, spelling, and speech-language.
If you have any questions or are interested in remote sessions, please contact us for more information and to schedule telepractice sessions.